To tandem or not to tandem?Shortly after the Century, David mentioned to me that we might want to consider NOT using a tandem bike for our trip... to which I responded, "But what about our blog title?!"
We've spent the weeks since slowly going over the pros and cons of using separate bikes or the tandem. Mostly for my own benefit, I have written out the pros and cons we're considering.
For the Tandem
- Chatting with my husband is easier
- Aerodynamics isn't an issue for the person in the back, so I don't have to be hunched all the time
- We already have a tandem, and although it needs work, fixing it up would be cheaper than having to buy me a road bike
- Our blog title is so catchy!
- I enjoy being a passenger on the tandem. Although I do most of the work (don't tell David I said that!), I like to be able to
stare at the moving ground below us as we pound out a few tough miles,
or enjoy the scenery as we go by.
- I don't currently have a road bike that we can test riding separately with, so the simplest thing would be to just stick to the original plan
- We go crazy fast downhill
For Separate Bikes
- We're still a little unsteady on the tandem at times and I would feel safer on separate bikes
bikes would be quicker in tricky places, like at lights or crossing
streets - especially after adding the weight of our panniers and trailer
- David is no longer content with our tandem and would like to look into getting something nicer, and since we have long-term plans to get me my own bike, we might as well skip getting a second tandem in favor of something we would buy anyway
- I would be able to see where I was going, and not need to strain to look over David's shoulders
- On those hot summer days, David might get a little smelly...
- We'd be faster up hills
My homework assignment from David is to read a book on tandeming that our friend Joe gave us. David says it has good information and will be a good place to start our decision-making process. Look forward to another post soon on all this soon. With only 7 weeks until our trip, we really need to make a decision soon!